Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home2/sesadmin/public_html/mkportal/include/VB/vb_out.php on line 17
ATARI - scum - seS Forum
Last Shout - Posted by: «seS»jackal_71 - Thursday, 13 June 2013 19:59
Newp

Go Back   seS Forum > «seS»Public - Viewable by EVERYONE (public access) > Portal News

Portal News News and info from the portal page.

Old 01-04-08, 06:40 PM   #1
«seS»Slaine

Default ATARI - scum

Greetings my friends....
Just thought I'd share a little addition to the atari (uk) Testdrive-Unlimited forum which, for some inexplicable reason, has just vanished. I wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me on the atari forum
I feel I must retort...

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot supporting atari
i just want to say that ive been playing pc games for 25 years and consider myself to have great knowledge of a wealth of games.TDU is unlike any other game i have encountered,yes there are some issues on some configurations,i myself have to delete the cab file occasionally if the game crashes,but for £30.00 you have probably the best and most advanced online driving game ever made.What else would you get for £30.00 these days? half a tank of petrol? a meal for two? There are very few games that would take up as much of my time as this one and 9 euros for a car megapack is peanuts in gaming terms,so please think before complaining,its not all bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Okay - I have been playing PC games for more than 3 decades and yes, TDU offers some unrepeatable offers... but it doesn't actually deliver and it patently fails to support.

£30 - normally gets you a guarantee, a level of consistency and, at very least - legal redress. True it is not ALL bad. But, your addition to this thread is naive to say the least. I acknowledge the failure of EVERY other software sales on the planet to date to support their releases - nothing personal.

Quote:
Imagine your license constraints give you two choices
a) You can make a game with Ferraris and Lambos in but isn't moddable.
b) You can make a game without Ferraris and Lambos but is moddable.

Which would you make? Atari made both - RACE 07 is moddable but doesn't have Ferraris and Lambos, and TDU does but isn't. If a car manufacturer refuses to give you a license for a game that is moddable then what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I think you mean BMW and Porche... I'd buy both, mod Race07 (which for some bizzare reason I've NEVER heard of) and enjoy a level of competent support from TDU (which doesn't exist)

Quote:
TDU took years to make - it was even delayed several times to much anguish to make a better game. And infact it is a more polished game than most PC games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
All finished products require a bit of COORDINATED INPUT. The fact that other manufacturers fail to put the effort in is not an excuse for Atari to follow suit.

Quote:
As for selling the rest of the game later.. that's odd - I have a complete game out of the box with tons of great cars to drive. Getting more cars later is great, but it's not neccessary to enjoy the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
That was true, right up until the point where this pack was released. The fact is that people like me, and "ian30" refuse to play ball and stump up additional funds for a game we have already paid for... so ultimately anyone who does pay for this "enhancement" will only be satisfying their own narrowminded "gimmi" attitude, people who are so completely wrapped up in their fictional online existance that are prepared to fork out MORE money just to maximise their benefit from a game they have already paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the informed and very astute Ian 30
Also in the EULA Which i have to agree to before i installed this game it doesn't say that i am expected to PAY for any Update, Mod pack or Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I agree entirely... as a modder myself I find it utterly disgraceful that there is no means to contribute to this game.

Quote:
You don't have to pay for any updates or patches. You didn't have to pay for the free cars that came before either. This is a purely optional digital download which is totally unneccessary so you don't have to have it if you don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
...without which, the fools who fork out so much as a penny will be unable to show off the new cars that they have paid TWICE to buy - once in-game and, before that, to atari.

Lets be honest here... TDU is a truly fantastic move forward in the genre of online multiplayer experience. If it worked properly I'd be quite happy to pay double the price but I find myself now, having owned the game for only 3 months, at a point where I own at least one of every car, own sufficient houses to store them, have covered every mile of the island, have completed every single-player race, timed event, speed event, delivery and hitchhiker mission... but until the "club" events get fixed I am unable to achieve "ace", I cannot "spawn" on friends unless particularly lucky and would prefer to spend my money on an extra "island" to transport a few cars to and continue advancing my character... it is, after all, only a game
just noticed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari toady
purely optional digital download which is totally unneccessary
actually, since the game will not play online without this patch which includes a couple of second rate cars, that is a complete LIE!
Presumably, Atari have taken offense at my suggestion that they "have produced a fantastic game" and that as a PC gamer of 30 years (computer game player for 40) I have nothing significant to add to their forum.
any suggestions?

Last edited by «seS»Slaine; 01-04-08 at 06:56 PM. Reason: final quote
Old 01-04-08, 08:10 PM   #2
«seS»Jackal
«seS»STAFF

«seS»Jackal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
any suggestions?
Yes i might copy and paste your post in there forums again just so there can ban me to. There is one thing holing me back there just might be a torrent
out there that will alow us to get there 45 cars so im just going to hold out untill it comes out to see were we are at with it.

i did post there today myself my post went like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebra
Guys, considering the cost of development free downloads are wishful thinking

The price will be around 9.99 euros - less than 0.22 euros per vehicle.

Pl-Destroy, yes, I work for Atari and this is official news
Hi all i would just like to say.
For the price i payed for this game £30 I consider the cost of development payed for. We get a game with bugs unfixed and now you are going to sell us a pack of cars. I come from a big moding background and i know for a fact there is ppl out there like me willing to mod for free model for free and give away cars for free if you would just let us make mods for your game. i really feel that Atari is going down the same root as EA. Make a game really quick geting it out not finised then sell ppl the rest of the game at a later date. Im not happy about buying the pack as i can model the car's myself i just cant get them to work in this game. Also in the EULA Which i have to agree to before i installed this game it doesn't say that i am expected to PAY for any Update, Mod pack or Patch, if this was the case i would have thought twice about purchasing an unfinished game.

Rant over.
link to my post my name in there is ian_30
http://forums.eu.atari.com/showthrea...&page=52&pp=30

Last edited by «seS»Jackal; 07-05-08 at 01:34 PM.
«seS»Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 08:40 PM   #3
«seS»Slaine

Nice one my friend... Good to know I'm not a lonely loony in this word of corporate ass-f*cking-profit-greed-abuse-the-n00b mentality. Oh, and guess who can't view any of the atari (uk) forum anymore
Old 12-04-08, 11:50 AM   #4
«seS»Jackal
«seS»STAFF

«seS»Jackal is an unknown quantity at this point

That pack is out $19.99
http://www.atari.com/us/games/test_d...gapack/dvd_rom

«seS»Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote